Sad, but increasingly more true.
I love books. Love them. I love the outsides as well as the insides. Of course I love a good story. Sometimes I even really enjoy a plain old mediocre story. But I also love the way a really old book smells. I love the way a book from the 50s or 60s smells. And I love the smell of a new textbook. They're all a little different, ya know. It's intoxicating.
My love of books has been a little overwhelming to Husband for a while now. I reconciled this to myself that he isn't really a reader, so he doesn't "get it". But things have gotten to a point now that even I get a little tight chested when I walk into our "schoolroom". There are stacks upon stacks upon stacks of books. A major contributor to this is the fact that we've made some changes in our curriculum, and I needed to sort our books accordingly. Sorting happened. Re-shelving, not so much.
Seeing as we ascribe to a literary education in our homeschool, having a lot of books is kind of par for the course (unless, of course, you use the heck out of your library, which I'm trying to get better at). I have been building our home library for a few years now, and I snatch up great finds from used book shops and thrift stores when I can. I don't feel bad about owning these books; they are an investment in my children. I just really need a better way to organize and keep track of what we've got. And right now, looking at these stacks upon stacks upon stacks, I have an overwhelming urge to just chuck them all and start over!
I think instead, I'll put on my big girl pants, go down there and do the work.
And put a freeze on the book budget for a while.
I love books. Love them. I love the outsides as well as the insides. Of course I love a good story. Sometimes I even really enjoy a plain old mediocre story. But I also love the way a really old book smells. I love the way a book from the 50s or 60s smells. And I love the smell of a new textbook. They're all a little different, ya know. It's intoxicating.
My love of books has been a little overwhelming to Husband for a while now. I reconciled this to myself that he isn't really a reader, so he doesn't "get it". But things have gotten to a point now that even I get a little tight chested when I walk into our "schoolroom". There are stacks upon stacks upon stacks of books. A major contributor to this is the fact that we've made some changes in our curriculum, and I needed to sort our books accordingly. Sorting happened. Re-shelving, not so much.
Seeing as we ascribe to a literary education in our homeschool, having a lot of books is kind of par for the course (unless, of course, you use the heck out of your library, which I'm trying to get better at). I have been building our home library for a few years now, and I snatch up great finds from used book shops and thrift stores when I can. I don't feel bad about owning these books; they are an investment in my children. I just really need a better way to organize and keep track of what we've got. And right now, looking at these stacks upon stacks upon stacks, I have an overwhelming urge to just chuck them all and start over!
I think instead, I'll put on my big girl pants, go down there and do the work.
And put a freeze on the book budget for a while.
No comments:
Post a Comment