Wednesday, March 10, 2010

RV Living: Challenges

Husband and I have obviously decided that the pros of traveling and living in an RV while he's working outweigh the cons.  That being said, there are still a number of challenges that have to be faced, dealt with, overcome.  We've been in the RV for about a week and a half now, and some of us have adjusted better than others.  I have decided, being the list-making visual person that I am, that writing out these challenges, and hopefully the solutions, will help me (and the rest of the family) make this transition (and future ones) easier.  So today I'll begin with a pretty basic challenge:  finding the right park.  For us, this means finding a place that is kid friendly and pet friendly above all other criteria.  We need areas to play, and enough space in the park that our neighbors aren't right on top of us.  Five people in a 35' RV is going to be noisy, no matter how you slice it.

When we first got here (here is Chattanooga, by the way), we went to an RV park that I will not refer to by name.  A few co-workers of Husband are staying there, and they had a spot held for us.  The location was just off the interstate, so it was very close to shopping and what-not.  I was thinking, "Well, alright.  This is great".  If I knew how to type that sound of a buzzer going off when you answer wrong on a game show, that's what would be right here.  The first clue that this place wasn't for us was the fact that the roads were so narrow and strewn with boulders and trees.  The RV spots were pretty small and close together, with neighbors VERY close on both sides, as well as directly in front and behind.  It was like an obstacle course.  Husband drug the end of the RV across a small tree while trying to turn into the spot, all while the manager "ushered" him in.  I was behind him in the van, yelling "STOP, STOP, STOP!!!!!".  Funny thing.  He couldn't hear me. When I realized that the manager stood there and did nothing, I was not pleased.  This was not a good first impression, my friends.  We finally got the RV pulled in, and then manager guy came over and told me that he wasn't going to yell at me yet for not parking on the gravel since we had just got there.  So, I got out and started looking around the lot for a place to park ON GRAVEL.  I ended up having to park halfway out in the roadway, and Husband had to park his truck over in the parking lot.  We had obviously been put in a lot that was far too small for our RV.

The next clue that this place was just not right for us was the realization that the dog couldn't be tethered out.  At all.  And we could only walk him in undeveloped areas.  Me, 3 kids, and a dog walking around in undeveloped areas several times a day.  SAY WHAT?!?!?!

And then came the deal breaker.  We had been at said park for a week when we got a note that the manager wanted to see us up at the office.  It was like being called to see the principal.  I went, and the office manager (who was already rude to me a few days before) informed me that they were unaware that we had children with us (even though we had brought them into the office with us when we registered, and a couple of times to use the restroom while playing at the park that's across the street from the office), and that the price would go up $30 PER CHILD, PER MONTH.  That's $90.  I came back to the RV, told Husband what was said, and we left about an hour later.  It seems apparent to me that this particular RV park didn't really care to have children or pets there, which was contrary to their advertisements and website.  Unfortunately, this was something we had to figure out from experience. 

Fortunately, we had driven around Chattanooga to scope out some alternative RV parks to stay at before the whole price-hike debacle, so we were prepared.  We are now staying at Raccoon Mountain Caverns and Campground.  We've been here for about 4 days, and so far it is fantastic!  It is a more rural setting.  The RV lots are plenty big, and we are on the back row, which means there are no RVs behind us!  There is an arcade, a Go Kart track (seriously!) and there are caves that we can tour.  Now, all of the extra stuff charges admission, but as far as the park itself, it costs the same as the other park before the price hike.  And it's about 5-10 minutes closer to Husband's work.  We are still right off the interstate, and Wal-mart is just a few minutes away, but that's just about it.  But when we look at the window, we see mountains instead of RVs.  Husband and I both commented on the fact that we can see stars here.  The energy is just different out here.  This is the kind of park we need to stay in. 
The only down-side to the move is that none of Husband's co-workers are here, which is a bummer.  We're hoping that our friend will make the move with us, but even if he doesn't, this was the right choice for us.  This place is pretty great.  I would recommend it to anyone!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, T!! The area out there sounds wonderful! =)
    Be sure to take lots of pics for us!

    ReplyDelete