The next challenge I'm going to write about is how well, or not well, we all adapt to leaving our home and staying in an RV for any amount of time. Husband, QL, and Em all seem to do just fine. They continue their normal daily rhythms, seemingly unphased by the change of venue. IW and I, however, do not transition so well. I was going to write about IW's behavior challenges, and how change affects him so strongly, and I was going to ask for advice, because I honestly run out of ideas sometimes. And while I am still open to any and all advice, my focus has changed.
This morning, as I was reading my email updates for my Yahoo groups, I read a post from a group member that mentioned the site http://www.hsperson.com/ (thank you so much Katie!). Mildly interested, I clicked the link, and wound up learning a whole lot about myself and more importantly, about my child. I realized that there is a good chance that the issues arrive not so much from being at the RV itself, but from something different entirely.
The questionaire states that if you respond positively to 13 or more questions, you are likely a Highly Sensitve Person. I responded positively to 25. I was shocked. I have always been aware of the individual characteristics that this website asks about, such as becoming very moody when hungry, or sensitive to change, but I had never looked at these ideas as a whole package. It is the same with my son. He has always had a strong aversion to getting dirty, and complains of itchy clothes. He has also always, from the time he was a young toddler, been very ordered and meticulous. If you moved one of his toys, he knew it and wasn't happy about it. I've always described him as sensitive and/or intense, but I never thought to look at ALL of these personality traits together. (BTW, I answered the questions about him, and there were 15 positive responses. There is a questionaire to answer specifically for your child on the site.)
I can now see why, even though IW is so excited to be at the RV, his behavior shows that he is struggling with it a little. I can also understand why I, myself, am having these feelings of anxiety and being overwhelmed even while I'm excited to be here and by all the opportunities we have.
Reading that website and then sitting down to write about our adapting to the RV made things click for me. This has been an ah-ha, light bulb moment. It was like the dots were connected this morning. I haven't read the book yet, so I'm not exactly certain what to do with this information, but I do know that knowledge is power. I really think that this could change our lives. I can remember being this way as a young girl, and just thinking I was wierd, or as everyone else said (and still does), just overly sensitive. Now I see a different way of viewing myself! I'm looking forward to learning how to better deal with situations, and teaching my son those same things. This is exciting, folks!
Are any of you highly sensitive people? Do any of you have highly sensitive children? How do you accomodate this? I'd love to hear from you! Until then, have a great day!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment