Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Never a dull moment...

Soooo, in true form, it's been just plain crazy around here!   QL's poor hamster, Gracie, went to the big hamster cage in the sky.  We had our first ever pet funeral, and it was just plain sad.  My sweet girl handled it with so much grace.  Then, a week later, Buddy, our rescue puppy, went into her room while we were downstairs doing our lessons, and made a meal of her stuffed animals.  Stuffed animals to a 6 year old girl ARE her pets.  She's had a rough couple of weeks!

Husband in still on the brink of changing jobs.  I'm so completely distracted by this.  I've decided that distraction is my biggest flaw, and have been trying to just let God and let go, but who am I kidding?!?!?!  I feel like our lives are on hold, waiting to see what's going to happen.

Are we moving?  Are we staying here?  Where are we moving to?  Should we go ahead and take our cross-country trip to visit grandparents NOW before changing companies?  Is this house going to sell?  Can I get everything done that needs to be done?

So, partly to focus my attention on something else, and partly to prepare in case we do move this summer, I've been working on all things Charlotte Mason.  I've been reading More Charlotte Mason Education by Catherine Levison, as well as just about every article I can find on charlottemasonhelp.com.  We are going to be using her (cmhelp's) Year 1 curriculum for IW and QL together coming up, and I finally feel prepared to take on a full CM way of doing things.  I don't know what I was afraid of.  I think maybe the kids were too young to do it before, and that's why I felt like it would be too much (read: hard) for them.  After trying other things, and continually coming back to Charlotte Mason, I am confident that this is the right path for our family right now.

That being said, we have stopped our history readings (for now) so that we can start over in American History with year 1, and make a My America book.  We are still doing math, and our science work from BLHFHG, but for everything else this week, we started doing a unit study on China from Galloping the Globe.  I made passports for the kids, and we're going to travel to different countries through the curriculum.  They're excited; I'm excited!  I think it will be fun, educational, and a great way to keep us moving forward during the interim (both life and education-wise). 

No comments:

Post a Comment