A few weeks ago, I really started putting some thought into a new routine in our home. My biggest
struggle with this so far is coming up with something that is structured enough
to let us know what comes next, but flexible enough to leave space for the
unexpected.
For example, right now IW and QL are in the kitchen cooking
up recipes out of one of their kids’ cookbooks.
We’ve had this particular cookbook for more than a year, maybe two, and
only in the last few days have they really shown interest in it. IW has had it out several times. And now they are using my cooking/baking
utensils and playdoh to “make” several dishes.
My plan for this
time was to be reading about the pilgrims and to check out the pilgrim coloring
books we just got from Dover Publications.
I just can’t go in there and tell them to stop what they’re
doing. And this is why:
*They are working together.
As a team. In a friendly
way. They are being encouraging to one
another. This is a big deal.
*They are reading the recipe, and working it out, with
playdoh, but still. They are learning
the difference between a dry measure and a wet measure. They are learning about 1 cup vs. ¼ cup. They are learning the difference between
tablespoon and teaspoon. Etc. etc.
*They are doing this ALL BY THEMSELVES. I learned a long time ago that my type A
personality can quash enthusiasm faster than you can say …….well, some really
short word. I get caught up in the mess
and doing things “right” (notice that theme running through this blog), so I
know better than to even go in there unless they ask for help. Then I dispense help and quickly get out
again.
*They are crazy enthusiastic in that kitchen right now. I hear laughter and giggling. I hear "Bon appetit!" And each time they ask if they can use
something (wet measuring cup, skillet, etc), and I say yes, QL says “I can’t
believe we’re really doing this!!!!”
Those exclamation points really don’t do her excitement justice. The kids are loving this!
So, I just can’t waltz in there and say “Sorry tiny people. As awesome as this is, you must stop at once
and come learn about pilgrims. I have
spoken.” Of course I wouldn’t really say
that last part, but that’s how I would feel.
Like I’m the dictator of the house and they are my peasant people.
There are definitely times when “I have spoken” has to be
used, and respected. Is this one of
those times???? Seriously, I’m
asking. Because this is what I just can’t
figure out. How do I give them the
freedom to have awesome moments like the one they’re having right now, yet
still have structure and plans? Because I am most definitely not a "no structure, no plans" person. Most definitely.
This kind of feels like a "cake and eat it too" situation. Yes, I want my cake, and I want to eat it. And I want that for my kids. And I kind of think that in terms of homeschooling, it might be possible, if I can just figure it out.
Any suggestions?
We have a loose routine for our homeschool. We eat breakfast, read the Bible, do math, and then reading. After lunch we do electives. Right now the only elective we are doing is science, but soon I want to add in Spanish and history. If we want to do something fun I try to do it in the afternoon so that it doesn't interfere with our most important subjects. However, if we have something in the morning such as ballet or art class we either do Bible, math and reading before we go, or in the afternoon instead of science. And I do not care what time we do our work as long as the morning subjects are done before lunch. I always try to do Bible right after breakfast, but if we want to play for a while before math that is ok. It has been working ok for us so far. If we miss a day of school I don't stress. We school year 'round and right now if we did our work each weekday we would be done by April. If we miss work it is going to be made up either on the weekend when the kids want something to do or in the summer.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the comment! I've set up a tentative routine sort of like yours. My biggest challenge is that my son is very concrete; he doesn't do well with a lot of flexibility. If I say snack is at 10:30, then he EXPECTS snack at 10:30, and if we don't have it then, he gets very unhappy. He's 7!!!!! This has always been part of his personality, but it has become increasingly difficult to accommodate as the family has grown. It is near impossible to plan anything to the minute when you have a 3 year old and infant in the mix.
ReplyDeleteThat would be very hard. Both my kids are pretty flexible and I don't have to worry about that. Does every little thing have to be on a schedule, or could you have some big things (such as snack) at a certain time and let everything else sorta flow? That way you can have snack prepared ahead of time and give it to him right on time even if you are doing something with the baby. Sure you probably thought of that. Just thought I would throw it out there.
ReplyDeleteI think I'm just going to let him help out with those things that he "needs" to happen at certain times. At 7 years old, I think he's capable of helping get snack time together. It's worth a try anyway!
ReplyDelete