We've had such a productive day today! We started Math right after breakfast, and I mean right after; we were all still in our pajamas! We finished about 15 minutes later, and the kids played while I cleaned up the kitchen. It was so nice to accomplish something before the day really even began! After the table got cleaned off I had the kids copy a Sunday School verse to work on writing. After lunch we did our B4FIAR. This week we're reading "Blueberries For Sal", and today we talked about how Sal got lost, and what we should do if we got lost. That led to a discussion on how and when to call 911, and what constitutes an emergency. Finally, we talked about some ways to avoid getting lost in the first place. After the story and lesson, it was quiet time. They each got to pick a book or two, and then they had to lie down. QL fell asleep, quite promptly. IW, on the other hand, read book after book. I found myself lying on the floor outside his bedroom door just listening to him read, all on his own. He was so funny! He would read a sentence over and over if he struggled with it until he got it down. Sentences that ended in an exclamation point were read with emphasis, and quite loudly! It was a special moment....until he came around the corner and said "what are you doing?" I told him that I was listening to him read, and he invited me in. I went and climbed into QL's bed (who was in my bed) and lulled off to sleep as he read to me. It was sooo great! Today has been one of those days when I have been reminded of why I stay home with my kids, and why we are homeschooling. Someone else could have had that moment, but it was mine!
At some point this evening, we'll do some informal, fun phonics work, and then I can mark all of the subjects off on my planner! That hasn't happened a whole lot in the 3 weeks that we have been "officially" homeschooling. It's a great feeling, and I finally see a routine taking form. We plan to travel Wednesday to see Husband, so we'll see if we can hold it together. I'm feeling pretty hopeful!
No comments:
Post a Comment