Friday, July 2, 2010

living notes/learning notes

LIVING NOTES:

*we have been taken over by dog hair.  Apparently the dog sheds.  A lot.  I went to PetSmart and got some Shed-Less, which he has decided tastes like arsenic.  Fortunately, arsenic mixed in wet food is tolerable.  I don't know what we're going to do if the Shed-Less doesn't work.  Husband's allergies are offended by the hairballs laying around EVERYWHERE.

*We have purchased the Little Keepers of the Faith Books for the kids as an at-home alternative to the Boy's/Girl's Scouts.  I really want them to get to participate in a program like those, but all of our traveling really makes that difficult.  I like the Keepers program because along with the scouting aspect, it includes Scripture reading, memory verses, service, etc.  The book for girls focuses on being a keeper of the home, but at this age I will let them both complete everything in both books.  Everyone needs basic knowledge of tools, and everyone needs to know how to do the dishes.


*Last week Husband got a phone call with news from the owner and president of his company that they want him in office FULL TIME by this time next year.  Did you hear that?????  That means minimal traveling, and only for maybe a week at a time.  HOME.   We're not holding our collective breath.   Plans in this job change "as often as you change your underwear", as Ms. Carolyn says.  Let's just say that if this comes to fruition, our lives will completely change.  I'm trying to not lose sleep over this (unsuccessfully)!

*With lessons from Ms. Carolyn (the only other traveling wife in our crew, who I have adopted as my new grandmother whether she likes it or not!), I am hand-sewing an apron.  From start to finish.  It should be done this weekend.  I am the queen of starting projects; not so much finishing them.  I feel like this is a really big accomplishment, and it's a super cute apron.  I see these in my gift-giving future!






LEARNING NOTES:

*for copywork I've been having IW write 3 perfect big letters (A) and 3 perfect little letters (a) about three times a week.  Last week I had him write all the letters we've done so far, on his own, as review.  Well, after he'd done the ones we've worked on, he asked if he could write all of them.  This is the result:


I only had to help with a couple of letters, and mostly they were just placement issues (ie where do you start little f?).  Z was the only letter that really gave him trouble.  I had NO IDEA he could do this!  Anyway, I think I need a new plan for copywork, as my old one of just going through the alphabet one letter at a time now seems like a big fat waste of time.

*QL can now read up through the 7th Bob Book. : )

*QL asked me yesterday if she could please do the math that IW is doing, which is RightStart Level A.  I'm not sure how to proceed with this.  Husband says let her do it.  I'm a little nervous at the pace at which it travels.  And I feel like if we begin, it's a commitment that I'm not sure she's ready to make.  I will probably start doing 1or 2 lessons a week with her and see how that goes.  She may decide she wants to go back to "Pre-K", as she proudly tells everyone is her grade. (how cute is that!!!!)

*Em is still the cutest dawgone thing in the whole wide world! (I think that's actually a living note, but whatev.)

*I am determined, DETERMINED to begin our nature scrapbook/notebook thing this weekend.  I should actually be doing that right now instead of writing now.

*we're planning to go to the beach today, which will be our first time since we've been here.  I know, we're loser parents.  Mostly I'm just a big 'ol sissy girl.  Taking 3 kids to the beach alone scares me.


I think I've hit all the highlights.  I hope everyone has a fantastic 4th of July!

No comments:

Post a Comment