Friday, July 6, 2012

Weekly Wrap-up, Is it Friday already?

We got back to doing lessons this week!   (We take breaks pretty much whenever we need them, so a year-roundish schedule works best for us.)


We worked through Week 2, Term 1 of Higher Up Further In.  It was a great week, even with the holiday hub-bub!  The only important thing we didn't get to was a nature walk, but I figure that's not too bad for our 1st week back at it.

A couple of things came to light this week that will be integral to our future homeschooling success:


1) IW is a grumbler.  He just started Life of Fred for math (which I love because it enables him to be a little more independent).  He really seems to enjoy it, or at least that was my impression from his laughing while reading it.  And he has mentioned a few times that it's easy.  So imagine my confusion when he announced that he "hates Life of Fred".  WHAT?!?!  Are you kidding me?  I know some of the early chapters are going to be super easy, but that's just how that goes.  
The next time he did a chapter I sat with him and he giggled and laughed and I said, "It sounds like you really do like this."  "Yeah, I guess I do."
Sheesh.  
He is just a grumbler by nature, and while that grates on me, I am glad to have realized it now instead of later.  I now know that if he's complaining about a part of our homeschool, I need to make sure it's not just his grumbling nature before I go adjusting curriculum.


2) When we're doing lessons, our house turns into a big fat mess, fast.  I don't need a spotless house, but I do need a house that's organized and tidy.  I'm a very visual person, and clutter just shuts me down.  I didn't realize how much time I was spending on keeping the house tidy until that time was allocated to full days of lessons and childcare.  About 3 days in I had to really take stock of the situation.  I just do not function well when surrounded by mess, but I will not let a messy house be the reason we can't homeschool.  SO, I pulled out my copy of Large Family Logistics by Kim Brenneman.  


I LOVE THIS BOOK!!!


I would not necessarily call my family large, though I know other people might.  However, this book is so full of encouragement, wisdom, and ingenious ideas to make our homes run smoother, no matter the size of our families.  
I've spent all the spare time I've had the last few days at the table with this book, a pencil, a notebook, and a stack of sticky pads.  Hopefully this weekend I can begin putting my Home Management Notebook together, get some routines ready to be put into place, and find a way to manage our home while educating our kids.


The other thing I'm beginning to realize is that I'm getting involved in a few things outside of the home, and it's really eating up my time.  Generally speaking, I don't think being involved is a bad thing, but I have to be careful when Husband is traveling.  For example, I'll be gone all day tomorrow, between volunteering for our cover school, and then a meeting for our support group, grocery shopping and getting together stuff for Jo's 1st birthday next week.  I was also supposed to go to a fundraiser picnic, for a really good cause, but I just don't know how to make that happen.  Husband got in tonight after supper, right before the kids went to bed, and he has to be back to work Monday morning, and I don't know when he'll be home again after that.   


*sigh*


Don't sacrifice the best for the good, right?


Now that we're back to doing lessons I'm going to really have to be picky about what I commit to, or I'm never going to see my husband!





Linking up at
Weird Unsocialized Homeschoolers

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I have a couple of grumblers! ((sigh)) It's so hard to figure them out sometimes! But my girl has been grumbling less and less so maybe she's getting over them? I hope! LOL

    It IS hard to juggle everything, isn't it? One of the reason we homeschool is to give the kids and I time to do "other things", but we seem to do too much "other things" at times. Finding time for family is a must though!

    ReplyDelete